From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Gauffer \Gauf"fer\, v. t. [F. gaufrer to figure cloth, velvet,
   and other stuffs, fr. gaufre honeycomb, waffle; of German
   origin. See Waffle, Wafer, and cf. Goffer, Gopher an
   To plait, crimp, or flute; to goffer, as lace. See Goffer.
   [1913 Webster]
Feedback Form