From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Glazer \Glaz"er\, n.
   1. One who applies glazing, as in pottery manufacture, etc.;
      one who gives a glasslike or glossy surface to anything; a
      calenderer or smoother of cloth, paper, and the like.
      [1913 Webster]

   2. A tool or machine used in glazing, polishing, smoothing,
      etc.; amoung cutlers and lapidaries, a wooden wheel
      covered with emery, or having a band of lead and tin
      alloy, for polishing cutlery, etc.
      [1913 Webster]

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Emery \Em"er*y\, n. [F. ['e]meri, earlier ['e]meril, It.
   smeriglio, fr. Gr. ?, ?, ?, cf. ? to wipe; perh. akin to E.
   smear. Cf. Emeril.] (Min.)
   Corundum in the form of grains or powder, used in the arts
   for grinding and polishing hard substances. Native emery is
   mixed with more or less magnetic iron. See the Note under
   [1913 Webster]

   Emery board, cardboard pulp mixed with emery and molded
      into convenient.

   Emery cloth or Emery paper, cloth or paper on which the
      powder of emery is spread and glued for scouring and

   Emery wheel, a wheel containing emery, or having a surface
      of emery. In machine shops, it is sometimes called a {buff
      wheel}, and by the manufacturers of cutlery, a glazer.
      [1913 Webster]
Feedback Form