From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Gullet \Gul"let\, n. [OE. golet, OF. Goulet, dim. of gole,
   goule, throat, F. gueule, L. gula; perh. akin to Skr. gula,
   G. kenle; cf. F. goulet the neck of a bottle, goulotte
   channel gutter. Cf. Gules, Gully.]
   1. (Anat.) The tube by which food and drink are carried from
      the pharynx to the stomach; the esophagus.
      [1913 Webster]

   2. Something shaped like the food passage, or performing
      similar functions; as:
      (a) A channel for water.
      (b) (Engin.) A preparatory cut or channel in excavations,
          of sufficient width for the passage of earth wagons.
      (c) A concave cut made in the teeth of some saw blades.
          [1913 Webster]
Feedback Form