From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Kaleidoscope \Ka*lei"do*scope\, n. [Gr. ? beautiful + e'i^dos
   form + -scope.]
   An instrument invented by Sir David Brewster, which contains
   loose fragments of colored glass, etc., and reflecting
   surfaces so arranged that changes of position exhibit its
   contents in an endless variety of beautiful colors and
   symmetrical forms. It has been much employed in arts of
   [1913 Webster]

         Shifting like the fragments of colored glass in the
         kaleidoscope.                            --G. W. Cable.
Feedback Form