From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Obvolute \Ob"vo*lute\, Obvoluted \Ob`vo*lu"ted\, a. [L.
   obvolutus, p. p. of obvolvere to wrap round; ob (see Ob-) +
   volvere to roll.]
   Overlapping; contorted; convolute; -- applied primarily, in
   botany, to two opposite leaves, each of which has one edge
   overlapping the nearest edge of the other, and secondarily to
   a circle of several leaves or petals which thus overlap.
   [1913 Webster]
Feedback Form