From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

grommet \grom"met\ (gr[o^]m"m[e^]t), n. [F. gourmette curb, curb
   chain, fr. gourmer to curb, thump, beat; cf. Armor. gromm a
   curb, gromma to curb.]
   1. A ring formed by twisting on itself a single strand of an
      unlaid rope. Sometimes written grummet.
      [1913 Webster]

   2. Any eyelet or ring of metal or other material inserted in
      a hole in a sheet of some other material; in sailing, a
      metallic ring in or for a sail or a mailbag.
      [1913 Webster]

   3. A ring of rubber or other insulating material inserted in
      a hole in some surface of a device, to prevent wires
      passing through the hole from making contact with the
      surface; used especially in electrical and electronic
      devices, to prevent undesired electrical contact.

   4. (Mil.) A ring of rope used as a wad to hold a cannon ball
      in place.
      [1913 Webster]
Feedback Form