window glass

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Glass \Glass\ (gl[.a]s), n. [OE. glas, gles, AS. gl[ae]s; akin
   to D., G., Dan., & Sw. glas, Icel. glas, gler, Dan. glar; cf.
   AS. gl[ae]r amber, L. glaesum. Cf. Glare, n., Glaze, v.
   [1913 Webster]
   1. A hard, brittle, translucent, and commonly transparent
      substance, white or colored, having a conchoidal fracture,
      and made by fusing together sand or silica with lime,
      potash, soda, or lead oxide. It is used for window panes
      and mirrors, for articles of table and culinary use, for
      lenses, and various articles of ornament.
      [1913 Webster]

   Note: Glass is variously colored by the metallic oxides;
         thus, manganese colors it violet; copper (cuprous),
         red, or (cupric) green; cobalt, blue; uranium,
         yellowish green or canary yellow; iron, green or brown;
         gold, purple or red; tin, opaque white; chromium,
         emerald green; antimony, yellow.
         [1913 Webster]

   2. (Chem.) Any substance having a peculiar glassy appearance,
      and a conchoidal fracture, and usually produced by fusion.
      [1913 Webster]

   3. Anything made of glass. Especially:
      (a) A looking-glass; a mirror.
      (b) A vessel filled with running sand for measuring time;
          an hourglass; and hence, the time in which such a
          vessel is exhausted of its sand.
          [1913 Webster]

                She would not live
                The running of one glass.         --Shak.
      (c) A drinking vessel; a tumbler; a goblet; hence, the
          contents of such a vessel; especially; spirituous
          liquors; as, he took a glass at dinner.
      (d) An optical glass; a lens; a spyglass; -- in the
          plural, spectacles; as, a pair of glasses; he wears
      (e) A weatherglass; a barometer.
          [1913 Webster]

   Note: Glass is much used adjectively or in combination; as,
         glass maker, or glassmaker; glass making or
         glassmaking; glass blower or glassblower, etc.
         [1913 Webster]

   Bohemian glass, Cut glass, etc. See under Bohemian,
      Cut, etc.

   Crown glass, a variety of glass, used for making the finest
      plate or window glass, and consisting essentially of
      silicate of soda or potash and lime, with no admixture of
      lead; the convex half of an achromatic lens is composed of
      crown glass; -- so called from a crownlike shape given it
      in the process of blowing.

   Crystal glass, or Flint glass. See Flint glass, in the

   Cylinder glass, sheet glass made by blowing the glass in
      the form of a cylinder which is then split longitudinally,
      opened out, and flattened.

   Glass of antimony, a vitreous oxide of antimony mixed with

   Glass cloth, a woven fabric formed of glass fibers.

   Glass coach, a coach superior to a hackney-coach, hired for
      the day, or any short period, as a private carriage; -- so
      called because originally private carriages alone had
      glass windows. [Eng.] --Smart.
      [1913 Webster]

            Glass coaches are [allowed in English parks from
            which ordinary hacks are excluded], meaning by this
            term, which is never used in America, hired
            carriages that do not go on stands.   --J. F.

   Glass cutter.
      (a) One who cuts sheets of glass into sizes for window
          panes, ets.
      (b) One who shapes the surface of glass by grinding and
      (c) A tool, usually with a diamond at the point, for
          cutting glass.

   Glass cutting.
      (a) The act or process of dividing glass, as sheets of
          glass into panes with a diamond.
      (b) The act or process of shaping the surface of glass by
          appylying it to revolving wheels, upon which sand,
          emery, and, afterwards, polishing powder, are applied;
          especially of glass which is shaped into facets, tooth
          ornaments, and the like. Glass having ornamental
          scrolls, etc., cut upon it, is said to be engraved.

   Glass metal, the fused material for making glass.

   Glass painting, the art or process of producing decorative
      effects in glass by painting it with enamel colors and
      combining the pieces together with slender sash bars of
      lead or other metal. In common parlance, glass painting
      and glass staining (see Glass staining, below) are used
      indifferently for all colored decorative work in windows,
      and the like.

   Glass paper, paper faced with pulvirezed glass, and used
      for abrasive purposes.

   Glass silk, fine threads of glass, wound, when in fusion,
      on rapidly rotating heated cylinders.

   Glass silvering, the process of transforming plate glass
      into mirrors by coating it with a reflecting surface, a
      deposit of silver, or a mercury amalgam.

   Glass soap, or Glassmaker's soap, the black oxide of
      manganese or other substances used by glass makers to take
      away color from the materials for glass.

   Glass staining, the art or practice of coloring glass in
      its whole substance, or, in the case of certain colors, in
      a superficial film only; also, decorative work in glass.
      Cf. Glass painting.

   Glass tears. See Rupert's drop.

   Glass works, an establishment where glass is made.

   Heavy glass, a heavy optical glass, consisting essentially
      of a borosilicate of potash.

   Millefiore glass. See Millefiore.

   Plate glass, a fine kind of glass, cast in thick plates,
      and flattened by heavy rollers, -- used for mirrors and
      the best windows.

   Pressed glass, glass articles formed in molds by pressure
      when hot.

   Soluble glass (Chem.), a silicate of sodium or potassium,
      found in commerce as a white, glassy mass, a stony powder,
      or dissolved as a viscous, sirupy liquid; -- used for
      rendering fabrics incombustible, for hardening artificial
      stone, etc.; -- called also water glass.

   Spun glass, glass drawn into a thread while liquid.

   Toughened glass, Tempered glass, glass finely tempered or
      annealed, by a peculiar method of sudden cooling by
      plunging while hot into oil, melted wax, or paraffine,
      etc.; -- called also, from the name of the inventor of the
      process, Bastie glass.

   Water glass. (Chem.) See Soluble glass, above.

   Window glass, glass in panes suitable for windows.
      [1913 Webster]

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Window \Win"dow\, n. [OE. windowe, windoge, Icel. vindauga
   window, properly, wind eye; akin to Dan. vindue. ????. See
   Wind, n., and Eye.]
   [1913 Webster]
   1. An opening in the wall of a building for the admission of
      light and air, usually closed by casements or sashes
      containing some transparent material, as glass, and
      capable of being opened and shut at pleasure.
      [1913 Webster]

            I leaped from the window of the citadel. --Shak.
      [1913 Webster]

            Then to come, in spite of sorrow,
            And at my window bid good morrow.     --Milton.
      [1913 Webster]

   2. (Arch.) The shutter, casement, sash with its fittings, or
      other framework, which closes a window opening.
      [1913 Webster]

   3. A figure formed of lines crossing each other. [R.]
      [1913 Webster]

            Till he has windows on his bread and butter. --King.
      [1913 Webster]

   4. a period of time in which some activity may be uniquely
      possible, more easily accomplished, or more likely to
      succeed; as, a launch window for a mission to Mars.

   5. (Computers) a region on a computer display screen which
      represents a separate computational process, controlled
      more or less independently from the remaining part of the
      screen, and having widely varying functions, from simply
      displaying information to comprising a separate conceptual
      screen in which output can be visualized, input can be
      controlled, program dialogs may be accomplished, and a
      program may be controlled independently of any other
      processes occurring in the computer. The window may have a
      fixed location and size, or (as in modern Graphical User
      Interfaces) may have its size and location on the screen
      under the control of the operator.
      [1913 Webster]

   French window (Arch.), a casement window in two folds,
      usually reaching to the floor; -- called also {French

   Window back (Arch.), the inside face of the low, and
      usually thin, piece of wall between the window sill and
      the floor below.

   Window blind, a blind or shade for a window.

   Window bole, part of a window closed by a shutter which can
      be opened at will. [Scot.]

   Window box, one of the hollows in the sides of a window
      frame for the weights which counterbalance a lifting sash.

   Window frame, the frame of a window which receives and
      holds the sashes or casement.

   Window glass, panes of glass for windows; the kind of glass
      used in windows.

   Window martin (Zool.), the common European martin. [Prov.

   Window oyster (Zool.), a marine bivalve shell ({Placuna
      placenta}) native of the East Indies and China. Its valves
      are very broad, thin, and translucent, and are said to
      have been used formerly in place of glass.

   Window pane.
      (a) (Arch.) See Pane, n., 3
      (b) .
      (b) (Zool.) See Windowpane, in the Vocabulary.

   Window sash, the sash, or light frame, in which panes of
      glass are set for windows.

   Window seat, a seat arranged in the recess of a window. See
      Window stool, under Stool.

   Window shade, a shade or blind for a window; usually, one
      that is hung on a roller.

   Window shell (Zool.), the window oyster.

   Window shutter, a shutter or blind used to close or darken

   Window sill (Arch.), the flat piece of wood, stone, or the
      like, at the bottom of a window frame.

   Window swallow (Zool.), the common European martin. [Prov.

   Window tax, a tax or duty formerly levied on all windows,
      or openings for light, above the number of eight in houses
      standing in cities or towns. [Eng.]
      [1913 Webster]
Feedback Form